Nov 3, 2011

Gilbert Week



It's an Elizabeth Gilbert kind of day!  I just love Elizabeth Gilbert.  Her books Eat, Pray, Love and Committed are two of my all-time favorites and I highly recommend them.  They are entertaining, enlightening, and inspiring!  She writes with great honesty and, to me, just seems like a very genuine person.  

So I've decided to do a short blog series on Elizabeth Gilbert.  Today is the first installment!  I want to share a blurb from an interview she did with Barnes & Noble for "Meet the Writers."

What are your favorite kinds of books to give -- and get -- as gifts?       
My feeling about literature is the same as my feeling about furniture -- it is meant to be used. There's no reason to keep a piece of furniture in your house that is so sacred and rare that you can't put your feet up on it and a dog can't jump up on it. Likewise, a book that sits on a shelf like a piece of porcelain, only to be admired, never to be read again, is a dead book. I try not to make my bookshelves into graveyards, so I'm constantly giving books away by the dozen. The minute I'm finished with a great book, I pass it on. I like to see books circling around, living and breathing and being enjoyed, getting handled and dropped and read in the bathtub and marked up with exclamation points. The more I like the book, the less likely that I'll keep it. 
As far as what I like to receive -- just like every other devoted bookworm, my favorite four words are, "You Gotta Read This."

Love it!  I, on the other hand, am a little more attached to my books.  Hey, I might want to reread them one day!

Happy reading,
Chelsea

2 comments:

  1. Me too Chelsea! I have a dream of having my own library room someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I love EG too! I'm excited for this series!

    ReplyDelete