Oct 17, 2011

Ommmmm

Meditation.  Stillness.  Going inward.  Slowing down.  Mindfulness.  

Over the past year, I've been slowly trying to incorporate meditation into my life.  I say "slowly" because it's harder than it looks!  It's hard to set aside time in our busy schedules to just... be.  We focus so much doing and accomplishing.  So, I set a very small goal for myself - 5 minutes a day.  Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't!  I'm also exploring different ways of being still.  Meditation can take so many different forms.

It can be a form of prayer and connecting with the divine.  
It can be a form of connecting with yourself, your inner voice.  
It be a way of "reformatting" your mind so that you have more control and awareness over your thoughts.  

Even therapists are using mindfulness to help clients cope with their struggles.  There are so many things I could say about mindfulness, but I will leave you with this: Whether it's sacred or secular, the practice of mindfulness is a worthy endeavor.  Consider taking some time to just be.  It can be scary to be alone with yourself without any distractions...  So here is a little inspiration for you:

A great article: You Know You Should Meditate, So Why Don't You?

And an excerpt from The Musician's Soul by James Jordan:
"One must take time for stillness in one's life.  Because so much of the world literally clamors for our undivided attention, we find ourselves constantly focusing toward the outside world, while we virtually ignore our own interiority and soul.  The pace of the world and the pace of our lives almost predestine that we will have no time to know ourselves.  Consequently, many persons live their entire lives without ever really knowing themselves."

Peace,
Chelsea

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so excited for your blog-- I'm already inspired! Thank you for being so open and honest and real. It is so fun to read about these things you are thinking about and experiencing! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for blogging and meditation!!! ha! I REALLY need to incorporate this in my life more. Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete